Niton Primary School
- We have a partnership with the University of Chichester and take students for work experience. Chichester also support as our ITT accreditation provider on the Aspire School Direct Programme
- The Executive Headteacher is a Local Leader in Education.
- We work with the Island Sports Partnership for school sport and enter a wide range of both competitive and non-competitive sports. This year we have competed in 21 different events
- We are involved in cross competitions and festivals – music festivals, athletics competitions, netball and football tournaments and matches
- Our Reception staff across the Federation are involved in EYFS standards and moderation events within the cluster but also across the Island. We are currently being moderated for EYFS outcomes this year.
In more detail ……
The Cornerstone Federation was established in June 2016. The aim was to bring together the two schools (Niton and The Bay) to strength leadership, share best practice and learn from each other. The Federation will enable us to work closely together to support each other’s professional learning. We have established a calendar of training across the two schools which also includes moderation activities.
The Federation aims to organise a variety of professional learning opportunities linked to the teaching school at a range of school venues. It aims to offer sustained learning opportunities through a mix of expert input, action research and school to school enquiry.
We have a range of links to local and national partnerships including the Every Girl Can Initiative. We participate in all competitions ranging from football to archery, badminton to tennis. The school has gained the Activemark Gold award this year as a result developed links with the following clubs
Ventnor Tennis Club
Ventnor Ruby Club
Island Athletics – 32 children took part in the recent Cross Country Championships
Ryde Table Tennis Club
Cluster events for 12 different sports
Ventnor Early Help Centre
We are member of the Ventnor Early Help Cluster enabling the school to sign post parents to access specialist and universal parenting and child support
Traffic Management Scheme / Sustrans
We have been awarded our Sustrans Active Crew Bronze award to promote active travel. The school is also part of the local 20’s plenty scheme to reduce travel speed in the Village.
Isle of Wight Music, Dance and Drama Festival
17 pupils entered the IOW Music, Drama and Dance festival. 14 finished with merit awards or higher – two were judged best in class.
Links to the Uplands Primary School / Forest Schools Alliance Bracknell
As part of the Cornerstone Federation, we have developed links with Uplands Primary School, a NCSL Teaching School. Initially we will be leading on a variety of NCSL leadership programmes, prioritising staff across the two schools and in our cluster.
School Direct – ITT Partnership
Since September 2013 The Bay has been the lead school for School Direct ITT provision on the Island. The programme has successfully recruited and trained 18 trainee teachers. In collaboration with Chichester University and colleague Headteachers the programme has been robustly quality assured. This has been achieved through triangulated moderation of the quality of the trainees and their mentors.
95% of the trainees who qualified through the programme were judged to be good or better and were successful in securing teaching posts on the Island. 100% of the first two cohorts are on track to or have successfully completed their NQT year. Niton joined the programme in September 2015 and has benefited by working with students.
In addition to our School Direct links we also have links to the University of Chichester to support their education faculty by taking students across KS1 and 2.